Archive For The “Blog” Category
Nursery and Farm Assistant
Starting Date: April 29, 2019 End Date: October 4, 2019
We are flexible with start and end dates
Wage: $14 – $16 hour
● Experience with landscaping and/or gardening
● Ability to lift up to 50lbs
● Have a positive attitude
● Comfortable with handling and working around small livestock
● Enthusiasm for practicing ecological landscaping methods and a willingness to learn
● High School Diploma
● Receive daily instructions from supervisors
● Plant and seed native perennials and shrubs
● Weed and prepare garden beds
● Assisting clients in selecting and purchasing native perennials and shrubs
● Processing cash and credit card payments for plant purchases
● Assist in the maintenance of facilities including cleaning greenhouses
● Feed and tend to livestock and poultry
● Maintain a safe and organized job site
● Work in accordance with all health and safety laws and regulations
Preference will be given to those with a driver’s license and their own means of transportation.
Due to funding supplied by the Canada Summer Grants program. Applicants must be:
(a) is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
(b) is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the
Immigration and Refugee Protection Act*; and
(c) is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
*International students are not eligible. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents.
Please send your resume to email@example.com
Hidden Habitat is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.”
Our native plant nursery will be opening Saturday May 18, 2019 for the season.
We are excited to be offering new plants for this season, including a small variety of native shrubs and small trees.
Please check our plant list. Pre-orders will be accepted with a 50% deposit.
NEW this year we are planning to be open regular days and hours, which we will post once determined.
When: September 20, 2018 6:30pm to 8 pm
Where: Hidden Habitat 2017 Southwood Road, Kilworthy P0E 1G0
$35 per participant
Learn the basics of how to grow your own native plants from seed, as well as some tips and tricks that will bring better results. The workshop will cover how to responsibly collect seeds, how to store them and how to germinate them indoors and outdoors.
The workshop will begin with a basic introduction into native plant gardening and plant selection and a tour of the Hidden Habitat gardens in the making.
In the workshop participants will:
- learn which plants are ideal to grow from seed
- learn how and when to seed a variety of Ontario native grasses and wildflower seeds
- learn how and when to collect seeds from your own garden
- learn the benefits and drawbacks to direct seeding outdoors vs. germinating indoors
- learn methods of seed preparation such as cold moist stratification and seed scarification.
- enjoy warming beverages and light refreshments around an open fire
- leave excited about the possibilities in your own garden
Workshop will be held partially outdoors and hands on so please dress for the weather and for the garden.
Registration opening soon.