When: September 28, 2019 1 pm to 4 pm
Where: Hidden Habitat 2017 Southwood Road, Kilworthy P0E 1G0
$45 per participant
Learn the basics of how to grow your own native plants from seed, as well as some tips and tricks that will bring better results. The workshop will cover how to responsibly collect seeds, how to store them and how to germinate them indoors and outdoors.
The workshop will begin with a basic introduction into native plant gardening and plant selection and a tour of the Hidden Habitat gardens in the making.
In the workshop participants will:
- learn which plants are ideal to grow from seed
- learn how to grow a variety of Ontario native grasses and wildflower seeds, including site preparation
- learn how to collect seeds while following the North American Native Plant Societies suggested collection methods.
- learn the benefits and drawbacks to direct seeding outdoors vs. germinating indoors
- learn methods of seed preparation such as cold moist stratification and seed scarification.
- leave with personalized seed mixes* ready to be sown in your garden.
- leave excited about the possibilities in your own garden
*A selection of Hidden Habitat native seeds will be available for participants to choose from.
Additional seeds and plants will be available for purchase.
Workshop will be held outdoors and hands on so please dress for the weather and for walking in long grass.