When: October 13, 2023 1 pm to 4 pm
Where: Hidden Habitat 2017 Southwood Road, Kilworthy P0E 1G0
Learn the basics of how to grow your own native plants from seed, as well as some tips and tricks that will bring better results. The workshop will cover how to responsibly collect seeds, how to store them and how to germinate them indoors and outdoors.
The workshop will begin with a basic introduction to native plant gardening and plant selection and a tour of the Hidden Habitat gardens in the making. Participants will be given hands-on experience harvesting seeds from our grow plots.
In the workshop participants will:
- learn which plants are ideal to grow from seed
- learn how to grow a variety of Ontario native grasses and wildflower seeds, including site preparation
- learn how to collect seeds while following the North American Native Plant Societies’ suggested collection methods.
- learn the benefits and drawbacks to direct seeding outdoors vs. germinating indoors
- learn methods of seed preparation such as cold moist stratification and seed scarification.
- leave with personalized seed mix they collected themselves
- enjoy warm beverages and snacks around a campfire
- leave excited about the possibilities in your own garden
Additional seeds and plants will be available for purchase.
The workshop will be held outdoors and will be hands-on so please dress for the weather and for walking in long grass.